Yummy delicious food definitely has the potential to make you drool and most foods taste best when served hot. Another common habit that most people have is that of reheating the food, before eating. But have you ever given it a thought that it can be a highly unhealthy practice? Yes, you read it right, it is the most unhealthy practice, especially when it comes to certain foods.
A quick list of foods is mentioned below, which should never be reheated :
The problem with reheated potatoes is not the reheating but how you store the potatoes after they are cooked.
If they are left to cool at room temperature (and then left unrefrigerated), conditions may be right for growth of Clostridium botulinum (botulism), especially if they are sealed in foil so that oxygen is kept out of the potato.
Reheating the potato will not always kill these off, so storing potatoes safely as they cool is sensible.
The protein composition in the common dinner staple actually changes when cold, refrigerated chicken is heated for the second time. This can actually cause digestive troubles, so if you’d prefer to reheat your meat, make sure that it’s thoroughly cooked; the inside should be piping hot!
Shelled or unshelled, when a hard-boiled egg is cooked in a microwave, the moisture inside creates an extreme steam buildup, like a miniature pressure cooker, to the point where the egg can explode! Even scarier, the egg won’t burst inside the microwave while it’s being heated, but afterward, which means the scalding hot egg can erupt in your hand, on your plate, or even in your mouth. To avoid turning your egg into a steam bomb, cut it into small pieces before reheating, or better yet, avoid putting it in the microwave altogether.
Many new mothers freeze and store their breast milk for later use, which is great, as long as it’s not reheated in a microwave. In the same way that microwaves heat plates of food unevenly, they can also warm a bottle of breast milk unevenly, creating “hot spots” that can severely burn a baby’s mouth and throat. Then there’s the carcinogen hazard that comes with reheating plastic. The FDA recommends that breast milk and formula be thawed and reheated in a pot on the stove, or using hot tap water. As a workaround, you could heat a cup of water in the microwave and then drop the bag or bottle of breast milk in it to thaw.
5.Celery and spinach
Spinach and celery are both commonly used in soups and are rich in nitrates. Therefore, when you reheat the soup to make it more palatable, the nitrates present in the ingredients are converted to nitrites. Nitrite is carcinogenic in nature and is actually toxic to the body. Thus, you must never reheat any dish containing celery, spinach and other nitrate-rich foods like turnips, beet, and carrots.
Mushrooms can enhance the taste of any dish and it is common that the leftovers are stored aside to be savored the next day. This unknown mistake can cost you dearly. Mushrooms are a rich source of protein. On reheating, some of the proteins break drown, which not only changes the flavor of the food but also produces certain toxins. These toxins can lead to upset stomach and digestive problems. Eating reheated mushroom repeatedly can even result in cardiac problems.
Rice, like potatoes, can pose a risk when reheated or reused. This again is because of bacteria that can multiply if the cooked rice isn’t stored right or is stored for too long. Rice has naturally occurring bacterial spores that can sometimes survive the cooking process. Under the right conditions, like being left at room temperature, these spores multiply. Reheating them will unfortunately not be enough to rid the rice of the spores or the potentially poisonous substances produced by them. And that could bring on a bout of food poisoning.
How to stay safe: Be sure to put the rice away as soon as possible after you cook it. Also, don’t reheat and eat rice that has been refrigerated over a day – it could cause digestive issues including diarrhea or vomiting.